Nestled in idduki district of Kerala, Munnar has emerged as popular tourist in South of India. “Munnar” in tamil means three rivers as the city is emerging from three mountain streams. Munnar was summer capital of British in southern India. The Duke of Wellington was the first prominent person to visit the city.
The city is one of the stupendous hill stations in India. It is blessed with wonderstruck and awesome natural beauty. It is as if Mother Nature Herself has spread her arms to welcome people. Sojourn over the city one can find breathtaking landscape of green blanket covered by tea gardens.
Flora and Fauna of Munnar will mesmerise all the visitors. Pleasant chirping sounds of birds, beautiful creeks around the hills, roads covered with mist all will give you a feeling and experience to be cherished till the eternity.
The extinct species mountain goat of South of India Nilgiri Tahr and rare plant Neelakurinji which is said to bloom only once in twelve years are the biggest tourist attractions of Munnar. Another attraction is tea sanctuary estate bungalows built by Kanan Devan tea estate. It is oldest estate built in British era.
Tourists’ attraction of Munnar:
- Mattupetty dam: Built amidst hill ranges this dam is mainly used for storing water for supplying it to hydroelectric projects. Its reservoir has picturesque landscape with breathtaking natural aura.
- Mattupetty dairy farm: It comes under Indo-Swiss Livestock Project. Hundreds of quality cattle are reared and new species are developed scientifically.
- Kundala Lake: This artificial reservoir is of minor arch shaped dam nestled between the mountain ranges. You can enjoy the beautiful and memorable ride on Shikara boat.
- Top station: The thematic Euphoria of Western Ghats and valley of Theni from this place is fantastic. It is the uppermost located railway station on Kundala Valley.
- Echo point: Scream and wait a minute to hear your voice back. This is what you will experience in Echo point. This interesting point is loved by kids as they can get instant experience of Nature’s magic.
- Rajamala national park: Located 15 kms from Munnar, this place is natural habitat of Nilgiri Tahr – the endangered species.
- Marayoor sandalwood forests: Located 42 kms to north of Munnar, this place is known for its natural sandalwood forests. It is the oldest place with its existence dated back to stone age civilization somewhere around 10,000 B.C. Stone age paintings, rock edicts and dolmens that where found here are epitome of rich heritage.
- [wp_ad_camp_3] Attukad waterfalls: This beautiful waterfall is located between Munnar and Pallivasal. After monsoon this waterfall will be awesome place with full of glory.
- Blossom park: Serene natural environment with beautiful flowers and greenery is best place for boating, cycling, roller skating etc.
- Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary: It has over 34 species of mammals, panthers, elephants, tigers and over 245 species of birds. It is habitat of endangered grizzled giant squirrel.
Munnar has everything to rejuvenate your body and inner soul viz. breathtaking natural scenery, wild life, flora and fauna.